Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Creamy pumpkin soup with scallops


I saw a recipe in my Women's Health magazine for a pumpkin soup with scallops and knew I had to try it.  It looked really easy, perfect for a week night soup, and very hearty.  I adapted their recipe a touch though to suit our tastebuds.

  • one can of pumpkin puree
  • 4 fingerling potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 6 sea scallops
  • salt and pepper
  • toasted almondsthinly sliced onion (optional)
Combine the pumpkin through the coconut milk in a medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Stir well to combine and melt the butter.  Season with the salt and cayenne pepper when warm.  Continue to cook until the potatoes are warm.

Dry the scallops with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper.  Heat a saute pan or a cast iron skillet with olive oil and cook scallops until done, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Serve the soup topped with scallops, toasted almonds and onions if desired. 


This recipe would adapt well to a curry style soup...alas I'm married to a man that does not like curry spices.  So, if you try it that way, come back and tell me how it turned out!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks fantastic! I'm definitely going to try that recipe. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!