Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Oatmeal


I find the fast food push to market oatmeal interesting.  There's a big campaign going around right now to lead you into a certain fast food restaurant to try their new "healthy" breakfast-it's revolutionary, it's exciting, it's....oatmeal?  Don't get me wrong, I love oatmeal, so does Paulo, we eat it a lot.  I love how cheap it is, how filling it is, how nutritious it is, I love everything about it.  If you make a big pot on the weekend then you can even call it fast food during the week.  I was curious about, among other things, the cost comparison between my oatmeal and the fast food options that are making the PR rounds. 

I buy Bob's Gluten Free oats because of Paulo's allergies, I figure better safe than sorry.  I buy organic apples, because they are on the dirty dozen list, and organic raspberries-berries are also a fruit that I insist on buying organic due to pesticides.  Even factoring in the added costs of those items vs conventional produce I came out to an approximate total cost of $1.82 for the bowl of oatmeal you see above. 

If memory serves that's fairly close to Ronald's "new" breakfast but significantly lower than Starbucks and it's all done in a matter of 15 minutes in the comfort of my own kitchen. 

My other sticking point is the sugar content, other than a light drizzle of local raw honey there's no added sugar-at all-in the bowl above.  Paulo takes his with honey and a dash of cinnamon, that's all, no white sugar, brown sugar or any other kind of sugar.  If you order Ronald's oatmeal the way you see it on all the commercials with all the trimmings you're consuming 32 GRAMS of sugar for breakfast.  That seems excessive to me.  I know that some of that sugar is the naturally occurring sweet stuff in the fruit but McD's estimates 14 grams in the oatmeal alone, with no fruit.  I suppose it's a better option than a fried egg and greasy sausage sandwich but I think I will keep cooking my oatmeal at home, thanks anyway Ronald!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!