Friday, April 5, 2013

A new chapter and a salad dressing recipe

This past year has been one big experiment to see what my body needs to be well fed, healthy, strong and happy.

I've run the gambit from vegetarian, dabbled in vegan, to returning to eating meat but keeping my grain heavy diet to learning some about the Paleo Diet over last summer during a wonderful two months at Crossfit SW Portland but not being ready to take the full plunge to diving in to what's known as a Whole 30 in January under the guidance of the Whole 9 website and a really great book, It Starts With Food.

The Whole 30 (W30) in January was life changing for me.  It was during those 30 days of cutting out all grains, legumes, added sugar, dairy and alcohol that I felt the best I ever have.  Seriously.. the....best....ever!   I went through my 30 days 100% committed to the rules and went through the reintroductions as carefully as I can and discovered what I can, and can't consume.  I'm now following a paleo diet as strictly as possible, it is what works best for me.  I'll be sharing links, info and recipes that I create-or duplicate-here.  I hope you find some things that work well for you and your family. 

Now, on to the recipe!  There are countless bottles of mayo on the shelves at your local grocery store.  Sadly, even the "healthy" ones can be loaded with chemicals, preservatives and other nasties that I just don't want in my body, or my family.  I discovered homemade mayo in January and I haven't looked back since, seriously, it's incredible and it takes only minutes to make.

This is my favorite recipe.  It's super simple, it contains an egg, olive oil, mustard powder, lemon juice and salt, that's it. No binders, fillers, preservatives, nothing artificial and did I mention it takes only minutes to make?  You must, must, must make a batch ASAP! 

Once you make a batch of fresh mayo remove all but 1/4 cup or so-really it's whatever is left in the blender that you just can't quite get out by scraping! 


To that lovely leftover creamy goodness add:

1/2 of an avocado
the juice of one lime
1 splash of white wine vinegar
1/2 cup cilantro
three garlic cloves and a tiny bit more salt and flip the blender back on. 

Voila! Instant creamy avocado salad dressing, perfect for all those spring and summer salads we'll be feasting on as the temps start to rise and the farmers markets overflow with freshly picked produce!  I served it on a bed of baby spinach and green leaf lettuce with tomatoes, diced mango and avocado and left over roasted chicken that I removed from the bone and heated on the stove in a little bit of coconut oil.  Delicious!

Happy Eating to all and to all a Good Life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Input? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you!